The very dark color of the moon can be used to calibrate X-ray imagers to properly record the ‘zero signal’ state, while the eclipse will block out the disk of the sun letting the light from the mysterious inner corona within 100 km of the solar photosphere shine into various experiments for detailed study.
This page introduces you to some of the unique observations – Why is it that the corona shines with such a unique color and texture?
There are many features of the sun that will likely be seen during the total solar eclipse including the spectacular corona, helmet streamers, the thin red ring of the chromosphere, and perhaps a few prominences.
One of the most beautiful things about viewing the solar corona during a total solar eclipse is the light from the corona itself.
Beautiful Phenomena available now at retail outlets and through the TIME shop and through Amazon.
Jeffrey Kluger – August 18, 2017
Science for a healthy planet and safer world – Why is it that the corona shines with such a unique color and texture?
Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and scientists are more than 95% certain that it is primarily caused by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases produced by human activities.
How does the solar eclipse affect the atmosphere on Earth? Participate in a nation-wide science experiment by collecting cloud and temperature data.
The Science: Mechanics of Solar Eclipses
- A total solar eclipse is when the Sun is completely covered by the Moon. This diagram illustrates in more detail what happens during a total eclipse:
- A partial solar eclipse is when the Moon covers only part of the Sun, taking a “bite” out of it.
- An annular eclipse occurs when the Moon covers the centre of the Sun, but not its edges, leaving a ring (or annulus) of the Sun visible around its edges.
What happens in the atmosphere and on Earth ’s surface when the Sun’s light is blocked, even temporarily?
- The Sun-climate connection
- Are changes in solar radiation contributing to global warming?
- Are other particles causing global cooling?
- What is causing increases in the Earth’s average temperature, and how do we know this?
- How does the solar eclipse affect the atmosphere on Earth?Participate in a nation-wide science experiment by collecting cloud and temperature data
- What happens to your pets and other animals during the solar eclipse?
- You can participate in citizen science solar eclipse projects